3-Day Johnstone Strait Family Kayaking Tour
All equipment and meals provided
Friendly & certified guides
A 3-Day Family Adventure Out Kayaking On The Johnstone Strait
For those looking for a family adventure immersed in blissful wilderness, you’ve hit the jackpot with this 3-day kayak tour along the Johnstone Strait! At AWE Adventures, we emphasize quality — you will have the opportunity to see where wildlife thrives with the best guidance around, alongside your nearest and dearest. We also encourage children to mix with other children and experience interpretive learning.
Our family tour is designed with families in mind so there are no worries about your young children keeping up with the fit, 30-year-old couple. We prefer lower guide-guest ratios than the industry standard so that we can provide custom guidance to each guest. Set sail on this journey with us to discover the untamed beauty of our natural world.
Family friendly! Created for families ages 9 and up
Use expedition-level equipment (high quality kayaks, paddles, paddling gear, paddling clothing, camping gear)
All our guides are highly experienced with the area and have professional training outside of their guiding certifications regarding risk management, hazard analysis, interpretation, and more
Experience the abundant wilderness of the area: porpoises, birds, humpbacks, sea lions… Without a doubt, you’re bound to be speechless throughout your adventure
We offer a range of family-friendly route plans and interpretive programs to encourage fun experiential education
$889 CAD per person
Bauza Cove, Telegraph Cove BC
Sundays and Thursdays, July through September
3 days, 2 nights
2 minimum, 10 maximum
- No kayaking experience necessary
- Physically and mentally fit for 3 days of kayaking and camping in a wilderness setting
- Suitable for children aged 9 and older (for families with children under the age of 9, check out our custom trips)
- Minors (under 19) will require a parent/guardian signature for our waiver
- Complete medical form before booking
We ask all who come to bring a respectful attitude towards the natural environment and your fellow kayakers. The weather and wildlife are out of our control, but our attitudes are not!
- All paddling equipment
- All camping equipment
- All food
- Top-level guides certified by the Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of British Columbia, recognized internationally as a leader in the sea kayak industry
- Safety gear
- Paddling jacket & pants
- Sleeping bags & mats
- Camp chairs
- Cooking & kitchen gear
- Day 1: coffee + muffins on first morning, lunch, dinner, non-alcoholic drinks, appetizers and snacks
- Day 2: 3 meals, snacks, appetizers, drinks
- Day 3: breakfast, lunch, snacks, drinks
What to bring
- Sunglasses & sunscreen
- Rain jacket
- 2 sets of synthetic clothing for paddling (quick dry pants, thermal underlayer, quick dry base layer, insulating mid layer (fleece, pile, poly, etc.), and swim shorts. We recommend that you stay away from cotton clothing.
- Comfortable, warm, synthetic clothing to relax and adventure in camp
- A rain jacket and rain pants for camp clothes
- Footwear for paddling, such as neoprene booties or running shoes with wool socks. Our beaches are mostly rocky so bring a supportive shoe with a good sole (no flip flops!).
- Footwear for camp (rubber boots, light hiking shoes, running shoes)
- Swim shorts to wear over paddling pants. You can use these to paddle in or swim on sunny days!
- Book to read while at camp
- Camera if you choose — please note that we will be in a marine environment
- Alcoholic drinks if you wish
We will try to reschedule or refund. Please check our terms & conditions for more information.
Overview of our 3-day expedition
The Johnstone Strait is home to some of the highest levels of biodiversity in Canada. For three days, you and your family will embark on a kayak adventure exploring the wonderful ecosystem and look for a myriad of animals large and small — from microscopic plankton to the northern resident killer whale. We hope to come across Steller sea lions, harbour seals, Dall’s porpoises, minke whales, humpback whales, and river and sea otters. Johnstone Strait also boasts over fifty bird species living and migrating through the area, so keep your eye on the sky as well as the intertidal zone! There are tons of alien-like marine critters to admire alongside our more familiar birds and mammals. There’s something for all ages.
This trip is designed for families and children so it includes low tide walks to explore intertidal creatures during the day and campfires and smores at night time. We also provide specialized private family tours to focus on a desired topic such as leadership, wilderness navigation, wildlife identification, or any other topic you would like. This tour is the perfect opportunity for families to get away from the hustle of daily life and enjoy a unique and memorable experience that you and your children will cherish forever.
Since our campsites are only accessible by watercraft (such as a handy kayak), this journey is the perfect retreat amongst nature’s most basic yet impressive elements: pure water and fresh air. You and your children will be taken care of by our guides who will make sure you’re well-fed, well-rested, and well-entertained… And of course, enjoying nature!